Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
October 2, 2008
October 2, 2008
Present: Joe Aufmuth, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Robena Cornwell, Stacey Ewing, Jason Fleming, Michelle Foss, Brian Keith, Ann Lindell, Iona Malanchuk, Cathy Martyniak, Richard Phillips, Amy Polk, Patrick Reakes, Betsy Simpson, Ben WalkerGrover Reporting
- Grover is for IT-related problem reporting only. There has been an increase in the reporting of building-related problems via Grover.
MSL Laptop Batteries
- Exchange in cache mode - so you can work offline. We now advise you go to un-cached, or the search function will not work correctly. If you are working in multiple locations, use Webmail.
- MSL laptop batteries are not holding the charge for long. There is a design flaw in the battery charger that is causing a piece of plastic on the batteries to break. We are talking to Datamation and Lenovo. We are ordering an extra charger. We will have the battery situation tested.
- We will start to move staff to campus AD by the end of the semester.
- Will went over some of the information on the UF Exchange Web site at: http://www.mail.ufl.edu/.
- We will have to manually recreate all user groups and create GatorLink usernames equivalent to their Smatherslib usernames.
- We will test it in the IT Dept first. After user accounts are migrated, we will start on the email migration. There are tutorials and demos on the UF Exchange Web site.
- Will went over a few of the basics: retain forever folder, Global calendar, un-forwarding of GatorLink mail, mail metering for storage, mobile device synching, etc.
- The migration will be a long, complicated process.
- Email may have to be managed before transferring.
- Public folders should transfer the same.
- There will be a 24-36 hour timeframe when there will be no mail action due to the migration process.
- There are already several departments on campus who have migrated.
- Listservs - may have to re-subscribe.
- We should be able to give at least two weeks notification prior to migration.
- Office 2K7 is the preferred client for AD. Amy should be able to push it from the server. We will try it on a small department first. We won't push to all staff, only those who want it.
Workstation Support Unit
- Betsy inquires as to the disposition of FCLA funds for new computers. No definitive word, but Will was asked to put together a "wish list". We have 290 workstations out-of-warranty. We need to buy storage. By December, all of the West public machines will be out-of-warranty.
Implementation of Serials Solutions Open URL Resolver
- Ann Lindell asks if the Workstation Support Team could give more time notification when they are coming over to work on the public machines. If they could call beforehand and set up a time, that would be great.
- We have enabled the 360 link for testing purposes.
- Please compare results from the 360 link to those you would find in SFX by entering the same search term in regular Metalib.
- We are primarily interested in instances where 360 Link fails, but SFX works.