Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
November 6, 2008
November 6, 2008
Present: Joe Aufmuth, Shelley Arlen, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Robena Cornwell, Stacey Ewing, Jason Fleming, Michelle Foss, Paul Losch, Cathy MartyniakOffice 2007
Office 2007 Compatibility Tool
- Office 2007 will be pushed by request only. We will not try to push it to all staff as it has been deemed difficult to use.
- If you or your department wants Office 2007 pushed, please submit a ticket via Grover.
- There are several tutorials available online for O2K7. Bonnie Smith emailed several links to all staff.
Achilles IT Risk Assessment
- Amy is working to push the Office 2007 Compatibility tool to All Staff.
Campus Active Directory
- Campus standard to help us indentify vulnerabilities in data, equipment loss or any threat with potential to impact operations or assets.
- Will is in the process of writing a report. He only recently found out they want the full Library assessment by the end of this month.
- He will submit a report for this year and we will work towards fulfilling all requirements by next year's assessment.
Room 1A & East Conference Room Equipment
- Staff Workstations to be migrated to AD the first week of December (tentative). Once migrated, staff will use their GatorLink to log onto their workstations.
- There will be an extra log-in to Outlook (using the SmathersLib userid) during the transition (about a week or so).
- Campus Exchange Server migration 5 December (tentative).
- We'll need to check on any changes in logging onto Grover, Paula, Illiad/OCLC.
- We're going to start the testing process with the IT department first.
- Questions about student access - when they sign on to a workstation, they will use their Gatorlink. If they have a Smatherslib email account, once the Exchange Server has been migrated to AD, they will use their Gatorlink.
- Distribution groups and public folders are all going to break. We have to recreate all permissions by hand, unless Winston can find a way to do it using Powershield Tools.
- The IT group will call first before descending upon departments to do the workstation migration.
- Will there be an info session soon? Once we have tested it on the IT department.
- Before your email has been migrated, you'll want to move any items over a year old to your personal folders. The calendar folder should last forever.
- This will be a painful process, but will be better once everything is in place.
- Restricting access to staff computers to only staff once we are in AD - we will need to set a rule for it.
- Joe points out slow performance on both computers (room 1A and E conference).
- Will notes he has requested replacement of 200 old machines (staff and public).
- To accurately report any problems with either of these computers, please submit a ticket via Grover so the problem can be appropriately addressed.