- Emergency Help
- Computer Training for All Staff
- Blog Policy and Procedure
- Middle Managers Meeting Minutes
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609
Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354
Minutes of Smathers Middle Managers Meeting
January 7, 2010
January 7, 2010
Present: Joe Aufmuth, Denise Bennett, Rich Bennett, Steve Carrico, Will Chaney, Robena Cornwell, Bill Covey, Michelle Crump, Stacey Ewing, George Hack, Bobby Parker, Patrick Reakes, Clif Richmond, Rachel Schipper, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Laurie Taylor
Public Admin Rights
Canon Printing Status
- Torpig virus - problems detecting. We had one incident. Protection is limited. One product claims to prevent it. The cost is pricey, but it's worth it.
- The other solution would be to remove admin privileges on the public machines. We brought this up in Library Council and they were agreeable to the suspension of admin rights.
- We are working to get a list of the software needed by students. It will be pre-installed and new software will be installable by users. We will need to determine the needs for the public area by checking with Circa, looking at what we have now, checking with Student Government and perhaps surveying users. HSCL public machines do not have admin rights.
- Send suggestions for public machine software to Will.
IT Relocation to Eastside
- Printing outage was related to a memory leak on the Gatorlink SQL server.
- Canon is working on the USB scan.
- Slowness issue is still there. Even the vending machines have the delay.
Loaner Laptops Repair/Replacement
- The majority of the Hardware Unit will remain on campus.
- Few responses on the tape vault clean out.
- Servers will be virtualized at CNS.
- Building on schedule for a June finish date.
- We will maintain the IT spaces in MSL and West.
- Web unit will move to the east campus location. The usability lab will not relocate.
- There is a transportation problem without a departmental vehicle.
- Video conferencing will be utilized.
- Will meet with HSCL folks tomorrow about server virtualization.
- Joe Aufmuth to discuss with Will how the virtualization will affect the Aerials grant and GIS web interfaces.
- Altiris software has been approved for purchase. This should increase our functionality. It will save us manpower as it allows us to perform a broad range of tasks remotely. One piece also allows for software metering. With it, we should be able to monitor and control floating licenses, inventory, etc., assuming it works as advertised. We are waiting for a quote right now. There will be training - Altiris will have an integrator come here for a week to install and train.
User Safe Task Force
- Many loaner laptops that are out of warranty have cracks on the cases. We are discussing repair vs. new purchase options.
- MSL laptops are still under warranty. Ideally, if we could find funding from outside the Libraries, that would be great.
- A group of IT folks are coming up with ideas for training staff on backing up data, antivirus safe guards, etc. Emerging Technologies is also going to be holding a training session. We could combine the training.
- HR can assist with scheduling.
- Discussion of email back up and retention policies.
- Judy is very interested in SharePoint. It gives you greater opportunity to collaborate with your department as well as the rest of the University.
- If your department is interested, let ill know. Campus to get it going early this year. Training will be required.
- It acts like an intranet.
- The IT Dept tested it for a few months. It worked well for us.
- It has a video conferencing option.
- Cost is $9 per user per year.
- Could be purchased on a departmental basis.