Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
September 4, 1997
Present: Rich Bennett, Suzanne Brown, Tom Cetwinski, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Trudi Di Trolio, Carol Drum, Martha Hruska, John Ingram, Erich Kesse, Tom Minton, Richard Phillips, Jan SwanbeckJournalism Networking
- The Journalism Reading Room is hooked up and wired, but there is not enough light coming through to power the HUB.
Campus Internet POP Expansion
- IBM held a re-presentation in their quest for attaining the position of vendor for the CORE. This presentation was much improved from their previous one, they acted like a major vendor that really wanted the job.
- The final recommendation will go in this morning, to the advisory committee by Monday & then to the Provost & President. The committee is still recommending CISCO - despite IBM’s improved proposal.
- Implementation of the plan by December is now looking questionable.
- 45M POP expansion is in place and operational. It was expected to provide a 20% increase in traffic, but in reality it may be closer to 50%. This increase is putting a strain on the CORE, making the need to improve it all the more urgent.
- Campus-wide, the increase in video & audio Internet use for personal & academic purposes is on the rise - putting an even greater strain on the Net.
- The email conversion is more or less working smoothly. The exchange & client server is up. It is possible to leave mail on the server and access it from different machines. This is similar to RICE mail and will also have a storage constraint. At 8M it gives you a storage warning, at 10M it will cut off.
- More information on the email conversion will be given to the liaisons today, once they can get their own up and running they will be able to disperse it to the general staff.
- Orientation was completed last week - this was a shorter version. The hands-on session in the computer lab was successful.
- There has been no release of the FCLA budget, therefore no purchasing has been possible.
- GatorLink is experiencing growing pains. Everyone will probably need to get a GatorLink ID for UF identification purposes.
- Students with GatorLink accounts that dial-up from off-campus sites will be charged a dial-up fee, but the actual amount of billing is uncertain at this time.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 18, 2000
by Debra Harris