Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
November 6, 1997
Present: Rich Bennett, Tom Cetwinski, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Trudi Di Trolio, Carol Drum, Barry Hartigan, Martha Hruska, John Ingram, Erich Kesse, Ann Lindell, Tom Minton, Barbara Oliver, Richard Phillips, Jan SwanbeckOffice’97
Servers in Reference
- Erich Kesse raised the question about Office’97 - what about the site licenses for it? Bill says we will use it from shared apps on the servers. We are still trying to get the servers on-line.
- Erich notes that the servers were dropping in out of the Reference area. He was unable to connect to the server. May be misconfigurations in the individual computers. The mainframe is a lot more stable than these servers - it’s a trade off.
- We have installed 4 of the 5 baby servers - in Reference, Documents, AFA, and Special Collections. The last one goes to MSL.
- 20 more Cows have been ordered.
- We are looking to increase the memory on many machines as the price is very reasonable at this time. We will install it on machines that need to have their performance improved. Strictly staff work stations, not public.
- No decision yet on the CORE vendor. Lombardi has scheduled a meeting for Nov.14.
- We won’t have the switching nodes online until we know which company will be the vendor.
- LAC, Education, Special Collections are waiting for wiring.
- Electrical wiring scheduled for MSL.
- Systems & Preservation - also schedule for "official" wiring.
- Big push for the use of pre-approved sign-ons. Use of drop-in classrooms & public work stations would require the use of a registered ID. Public Services are working on a draft regarding their position on this topic.
- CIRCA is in favor of the plan.
- Remote sign-ons or create them here? Creating them here defeats the purpose. It is unclear how to resolve this problem. Current models of the plan have the authentication on boxes in that room.
- Plan will cost $10, 000 up front.
- Which areas are being considered as having enough space for it? The Libraries, CIRCA, classrooms, the Reitz Union.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 18, 2000
by Debra Harris