Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
December 4, 1997
Present: Bill Covey, Suzanne Brown, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Carol Drum, Barry Hartigan, David Hickey, Richard Phillips, Jan SwanbeckWiring Projects
- Wiring contracts have been approved.
- Tuesday, December 9 - TDI will start wiring Special Collections and LAC.
- Education wiring that has started in the area that was CIRCA is to be completed by the end of this month.
- MSL project is signed off.
- Systems/Preservation wiring has not started yet.
- 20 workstations recently received.
- Another 20 workstations have been ordered.
- The prices on these are still dropping. It has been predicted that they will go for under $500 without the monitor after Christmas.
- The next shipment incoming are Pentium IIís. The higher-end computers should go in the staff areas and the lower-end ones in the public areas.
- Internet link to Jacksonville has had major problems and outages due to a fiber cut. Trouble will probably last this week and next. The result is a traffic slowdown.
- The question was asked about the MSL homepage - it is still on NERVM - how & when should it be transferred off? The options are NERSP, RS 6000, NT Servers or the micro web servers. The transfer process is fairly easy.
- Gary Cornwell reminds everyone to make sure to check your password protection.
- Internet II - coming soon! Access will be on an as-needed basis initially. You will not be able to get to a lot of commercial sites like Yahoo and Netscape, but research sites will be very fast and relieve some traffic on Internet I. All of the connection points are currently in University sites. It will be highly regulated.
- Everyone should be converting their email to NT.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 18, 2000
by Debra Harris