Minutes of Smathers
Middle Managers Meeting
December 18, 1997
Present: Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Trudi DiTrolio, David Hickey, John Ingram, Erich Kesse, Stephanie Haas, Martha Hruska, Ann Lindell, Stacey Marsh, Tom Minton, Phek Su, Jan SwanbeckComputing
- Stacey Marsh has not been able to access the Foundation database. The problem is not on our end, possibly something done at the Foundations end.
- East Wiring status - 2nd Floor is about half done. The P.O. was issued for $14,999. Purchasing will not accept the sole source. They are trying to tack onto the Perry Parrish contract - approvals are in progress. Snafuís will delay completion about two weeks.
- LAC - not started.
- Education should be complete by the end of the month.
- Disappearance of NERVM will happen, there is no set schedule as to when. It wonít make the year 2000 - NERDC is not fixing it. No deadline or set date has been given to stop using VM accounts. Even with the FWD, if VM goes down or has problems - you will, too. The mandate for Library staff to switch over to the Exchange server has not been issued; sometime in the new year it will be set. Exchange has some new features and offers flexibility.
- University Locator - alias wraps are not always accurate and could point anywhere. Forward has to be done by individuals. NT2 access must be requested by a Liaison and set up by Systems. Need to change all addresses to mail.uflib.ufl.edu. PH has always had problems which have carried forward to GatorLink. GatorLink requires a pin number - call CIRCA for help, the phone number is on the WEB page. With a working pin number, you can change your own mail address on GatorLink. There is some question as to how to expand GatorLink to handle all staff.
- Electrical status in Marston - money is there, work hasnít started.
- Campus Core - CISCO edge stuff has been ordered. Interior will be IBM. Systems switch order should be placed this week.
- Campus group, NTAC, will establish standards for laptop plug-in. Dallas Antley and Todd Hester are working on a prototype classroom. Standard UTP, DHCP address assignment. NAC will talk to Dale concerning authentication. Carol Drum submitted write-up to NAC addressing authentication. Dale will meet with NAC sometime next year. May exempt our machines, but not the walk-in jacks. Room 100 East is being considered to test authentication. The Grand Reading Room is being wired for jacks (24 workstations plus master location).
- Electronic reserve machine to scan - not quite powerful enough, need to upgrade. The main upgrade would be memory - which may not increase print speed. Model used at Cornell is DocuPrint - for extra large jobs. Assumed to be self-service. Two issues: one is the machine, the other is printing. Need the technology to handle it. Electronic Books will have the same problem. Need a count of machines and the WSIDís for memory order. Liaisons can do the upgrades relatively quickly.
- Need to change the nature of LMG and form a steering committee. Could non-computer functions be performed in MMM? Reporting mechanism from each department could do LMG function in MMM.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 18, 2000
by Debra Harris