MMM Minutes 12/17/98
Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
December 17, 1998
Present: Rich Bennett, Gary Cornwell, Frank Di Trolio, Trudi Di Trolio, Carol Drum, David Fuller, Carolyn Henderson, David Hickey, Dot Hope, Martha Hruska, Erich Kesse, Barry Hartigan, Ann Lindell, Tom Minton, Richard Phillips, Jan Swanbeck, Carol Turner, Marijka Willis
Beta Testing of Websites
- Beta Testing of the new webserver has been ongoing.
- Special Collections has been using it exclusively; they had been using a micro web server & did not care for it.
- All areas should be shifting over to the drag-n-drop folders - the change will be official after the new year.
- There has been increased hacker activity on campus (and within the Libraries), including the events of Wednesday that resulted in a brief network disconnection of the Brain Institute.
- At the Brain Institute, they were kicked off their Net mail function & knocked off Health Net. They had to reconfigure their filter in order to fix the problem. This type of problem should not occur in the Libraries as our relays are set to prevent this type of attack.
- Internally, we've had a problem with the same site showing activity hacking out. We need to see if Back Office is installed to go through the machine.
- There has also been an incident where someone has used one of our IP addresses to hack out to other sites. The hacker is not the person who has the machine that the IP is assigned to, someone just happens to be using that number. We are working with Net Management to track down the intrusions.
- This kind of activity has been increasing all over campus. There has been a threat-response group formed to respond strictly to hacking activity.
- So far, we've had no incidents of hacker activity at the walk-up sites.
New Mail Server
- A new shipment of machines has been ordered - they have not come in yet.
- The price of computers continues to drop.
- Linux has experienced a great increase - it now accounts for 6% of the overall market. We are keeping an eye on it.
FCLA Proxy Server
- The new mail server is not ready to go yet, maybe sometime next week.
- The WebLuis Task Force is testing the FCLA proxy server. It seems to be working.
- There is always the chance that when all of SUS is on the proxy server that problems may arise.
- Private IP's have been having trouble getting in now.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 17, 2000
by Debra Harris