Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
March 4, 1999
Present: Rich Bennett, Gary Cornwell, Trudi DiTrolio, Carol Drum, David Fuller, Barry Hartigan, David Hickey, Dot Hope, Martha Hruska, Erich Kesse, Tom Minton, Richard Phillips, Jan Swanbeck, Carol TurnerNetwork Instability
ATC Standalone Catalog
- There has been massive network instability for the past three weeks, caused by a variety of problems.
- The fiber optic path from Criser to NERDC failed.
- There have been flaky network responses that have been difficult to diagnose.
- The outer ring of the campus network is CISCO equipment while the inner ring is IBM. The ATM communication has been unreliable at the CORE for the past 18 months and traffic has grown.
- There has been an increase in Denial of Service (DOS) attacks that have flooded the pipeline with things we don't want.
- Yesterday, Norman Hall (Education) was lost - the VLANS were knocked out - we had to reconfigure different paths - this caused West to be down for about five minutes. Once the changes were complete, Education came back up.
- Disruptions have been so massive that we've had to rely on the telephone tree for tracking the problems.
- The Libraries seem to be the first to report these outages to NERDC.
- FCLA said they will burn the CD's.
- Beta test scheduled for June.
- Will we keep the SNA terminals until June? It's possible.
- The recent audit was experimental, targeting a few sites at MSL, AFA, Music & Smathers.
- No significant security holes were found - some printers were found with open strings.
- We'll soon be using Linux - which are Unix-like boxes & they are notoriously insecure. We'll just have to keep up on the type.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 17, 2000
by Debra Harris