Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
July 15, 1999
Present: Rich Bennett, Suzanne Brown, Michelle Crump, Carol Drum, David Hickey, Dot Hope, Martha Hruska, Erich Kesse, Tom Minton, Cathy Mook, Richard Phillips, Jan Swanbeck, Carol Turner, Carl Van NessEquipment Received
- Final order from this past fiscal year has arrived - 41 Cows. Four will be dedicated to NT testing, 37 will be replacing old machines (75 & 100's).
- In order to receive a new machine, please bring the old one with you. This may help solve the problem of machines stacking up in departments.
- No distribution list has been issued. Older machines have higher priority.
- There have been some strange things happening with the 3270 sessions. The trouble seems to be due to network timing.
- Liaisons are recommended to replace 3270 software with a newer home version. This new version can be downloaded from UF's software site (http://www.software.ufl.edu/) and is also available on some of the UF CDs (http://www.circa.ufl.edu/cd-rom/). Please make the upgrade if you are having trouble with the current session.
- NERDC ISDN service is in progress.
- Bell South's ADSL is in a trial phase.
- Cable modem is available throughout the entire county.
- ISDN & ADSL (the faster of the options) allow for 2 channel communications (data & voice) can be combined on the line in any way.
- Cable modems are shared by area and therefore if there is traffic it will be a slower connection.
- It was announced at LMG that the liaison training session is in place and rosters have been distributed.
- The dates for the conference are the week of August 9, then the same information will be repeated the week of August 16.
- This conference is designed specifically for the liaisons & is not just a general computer information session.
- Discussion ensued on the possibility of skipping the in-person liaison meetings and moving to an electronic forum. The in-person meetings were good at first when there were lots of Q & A's. Now it seems to be mostly announcements, so much time could be saved if it was conducted electronically.
- There is a Systems Review Committee meeting tomorrow (July 16).
- John Ashcraft will undergo surgery and be out for three weeks.
- Michael Howell is now on board at MSL.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 17, 2000
by Debra Harris