Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
November 18, 1999
Present: Rich Bennett, Gary Cornwell, Michelle Crump, Trudi Di Trolio, Carol Drum, Barry Hartigan, David Hickey, Erich Kesse, Ann Lindell, Tom Minton, Cathy Mook, Richard Phillips, Betsy Simpson, Jan Swanbeck, Carol Turner, Carl Van Ness, Carol WhitmerSystems News
UF's Y2K Planning
- The LAN Coordinator position has finally been filled. The new employee should be starting very soon.
- Meeting at the Reitz Union was sparsely attended - everyone is burned out on Y2K.
- Physical Plant - has assured everyone not to worry - if anything breaks it will be fixed. They have checked the phones, water, elevators and electricity.
- Only one large computer bug (Y2K related) has been found & it has been fixed.
- Payroll has been tested through to Tallahassee and should be okay.
- NERDC is afraid of mishaps occurring at midnight December 31, 1999. They are planning to close at 6:00 PM to avoid the flip over problem - will wait until the time in England and New Zealand has passed.
- NERDC CICS & batch jobs will be closed down during this time. This includes the Dean's Menu. The down time is estimated to be about 12-18 hours.
- A Y2K hotline will be set for any campus Y2K concerns. The number will probably be 392-HELP, although this has not been confirmed yet.
- Closing down seems a bit crazy - things may be just as bad when everything does come back up. Mainframes all over the world will be taking this kind of precaution.
- Should we shut down the computers as we do for hurricane preparedness? It's not really worth the bother.
- There was an "invisible" Y2K exercise this past Monday, initiated by the state governor. The problem was that no one was aware of it.
- Employees need to be aware that they may be unable to do any serious computing come Jan. 3.
- We have shown to outside agencies that we are Y2K ready. All of our vendors assured us they are compliant as well.
- Ordering is on hold while Betty Mitchell is on vacation - will resume at the end of November.
- An order for 20 Cows went out on November 8 - it is somewhere between UF Purchasing & Gateway. Should have one or two more orders before the end of the calendar year. The FCLA money is here - things should be moving.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated November 19, 1999
by Debra Harris