Minutes of Smathers
Middle Manager's Meeting
December 2, 1999
Present: Rich Bennett, Gary Cornwell, Robena Cornwell, Carol Drum, Barry Hartigan, Dot Hope, Martha Hruska, John Ingram, Erich Kesse, Ann Lindell, Tom Minton, Betsy SimpsonIR Purchases
- Shipment of 20 Cows has just arrived.
- Cows are missing soundcards, as soon as they arrive, the machines will be distributed.
- Distribution list has not been established yet, but these are destined to replace dumb terminals, 75's & 100's.
- The warranties on 75 & 100's are expiring.
- We are negotiating with Digital for wiring projects in Documents & elsewhere.
Networked CD Outages
- Student signons are set to expire at the end of December.
- If you need a signon to be continued past that date, please advise the Systems Department via Syshelp.
- The majority of student signons are never even used. Students leave, and we are not informed.
- A reminder will be sent out to Middle Managers list.
Keeping Work Stations Current
- There will be CD outages while the CD ROM server is being upgraded.
- The server is old, so whether or not it will come back up after the upgrade is unknown.
- What would be a convenient time for the potential outage? Between Christmas & New Years.
- We'll try to increase the number of users as well - it's currently set at 250 and unable to be enhanced.
- Microsoft has recently released a slew of patches. All liaisons have been informed to make sure users are doing the critical updates.
- Go to the start menu-windows update-product updates-then check the list of critical updates.
- Sometimes there is a rush on downloading after new upgrades are announced. If it seems to be taking an extra long time, then try again later.
- There is one upgrade that has to be downloaded alone, not in conjunction with other patches.
- The MS product upgrade site should be checked at least once a week.
- Virus updates should be done separately from the MS updates. Should check the McAfee site once a week.
- We've been lucky here in the Libraries - we've had very few cases of virus infiltration.
- Liaisons are reminded periodically to keep work stations updated.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated December 3, 1999
by Debra Harris