Founded in 1987, the Marston Science Library was named for Robert Q. Marston, the seventh president of the University of Florida (1974-1984).
Although only 20 years old, Marston Science Library has its roots in the early 1900s as the compilation of several original science branch libraries.
The original science libraries include the Agriculture Library (founded in 1905); the Physics Library (1909); the Botany Library (1909); the Engineering Library (1912); the Chemistry Library (1923); and the Biology-Geology Library (1947). In 1987, these libraries converged into one, the Marston Science Library.
View the timeline or the Introduction to George A. Smathers Libraries History by Vernon Kisling.
Today, Marston Science Library serves the University and the scientific community by providing collections in agriculture; biological sciences; chemical & physical sciences; engineering; and mathematics & statistics. In addition, the library permanently houses the Map & Imagery Library and the Government Documents Department.
For more information about Marston Science Library, view the virtual tour.