Smathers Libraries Career Development Handbook
II. C. 3. Third Criterion: Service to the Library, the University, the State, and the Profession.
Standard: Distinction must be attained in either the second criterion or the third criterion. If distinction is attained in the third criterion and not the second criterion, performance in the second criterion must be strong, but not necessarily distinguished.
Active participation, substantial contribution, and demonstrated leadership are highly valued in service to the Library, the University, the State, and the Profession and should be fully documented through an individual faculty member’s annual activity report. Faculty is encouraged to bring their professional expertise, collaborative skills, and problem-solving abilities into each service activity. Strong service enhances the reputation of the Library and creates bridges to entities and individuals outside the Library.
Examples illustrating the four areas covered by the third criterion are as follows:
- Service to the Library
- Participates on Library task forces or committees
- Fulfills a leadership role as an officer or committee member furthering the initiatives of the Library Faculty Assembly or other shared governance groups
- Regularly engages in discussion of Library strategic planning and goal setting
- Demonstrates involvement in library projects that are outside the area of professional responsibility
- Service to the University
- Serves as member on University committees
- Teaches (or provides instructional assistance in) a credit-bearing course that is outside of assigned responsibilities
- Volunteers for University-wide programs that promote the mission of the library or the University
- Service to the State
- Participates on State University Libraries (SUL) and Florida Virtual Campus (FLVC) committees
- Serves in leadership positions within relevant state level associations (e.g., Florida Library Association, Florida Health Sciences Library Association, Florida Bar Association)
- Participates as a leader or active member in relevant state level associations( Florida chapter of Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), Florida Historical Society)
- Service to the Profession
- Participates on committees within regional, national or international library organizations or in organizations representing the professional expertise of the nominee
- Provides formal consultations or presentations at the invitation of entities outside the University
- Serves in a leadership role in a regional, national or international library organization