2006-2007 Annual Report
University of Florida
2006-2007 was another event filled year for the Preservation Department. Changes in Library administration included the retirement of Director Dale Canelas, with the hiring of her replacement Dean Judy Russell, and the departure of Associate Director for Technology Services Martha Hruska, and her replacement by Interim Associate Director for Technical Services Michele Crump. Library West reopened in the middle of the summmer 2006, after being closed for 2 years. There was a large support staff reclassification project as well with significant raises for those reclassed.
BINDING: 2006-2007 Binding Statistics
• Robert Parker and Raimonda Margjioni co wrote a charge and are now co-chairpersons of the PMMC, ( formerly the A Team) renamed and recharged in October of 2006
• Library West reopened.
• There was visit from Deb Nolan, DIrector of Library Binding Institute in February
• There was a visit from the President of HF group, our renamed bnidery, in February
• The security duplicate cabinet was moved down into Preservation
• ETD policies and procedures continued to change.
• We moved from Aleph 15 to Alpeh 18.
|Year||# of Monographs||# of Periodicals||Total $ spent on binding||NOTES:|
|2006-2007||6,040||9,882||$129,475||LW reopened in Summer|
|2005-2006||3,573||11,805||$125,829||LW closed all year|
|2004-2005||4,209||11,660||$122,220||LW closed all year|
|2003-2004||3,813||14,115||$147,989||Aleph STP May of 2004|
|2002-2003||4,879||19,917||$199,175||Special Binding Project|
|1999-2000||6,543||16,547||$172,040||Condition based binding begins|
CONSERVATION: 2006-2007 Conservation Statistics
• John Freund and Cathy Martynaik gave a talk at Oak Hammock, the UF retirement community, in March.
• The entire Department participated in creation of "Book Care : It's in your hands", a 12 minute, patron oriented care and handling video. The video debuted at the 2007 ALA Midwinter conference, has been cataloged locally and entered in OCLC and has been shown on UF dorm TV. It is available in University of Florida Institutional Repository. The URL is http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/UFDC/UFDC.aspx?b=UF00017110
STAFF and SPACE:
• Preservation Department Chair Cathy Martyniak gave birth 6 weeks early to a son, Richard Matthew Martyniak III, on March 18th, 2007. She was out on maternity leave for 4 months.
• Joan Gowan, the dorm reading room coordinator who had been using the space vacated by Will Canova, retired in April of 2007.
• Retrospective dissertation scanning
PROFESSIONAL and STAFF DEVELOPMENT:
• Midwinter ALA in Seattle (January 2007): Cathy Martyniak
• Faculty Senator: Cathy Martyniak
• Annual ALA in DC (June 2007): Anita Lambert and Christy Shorey
• Member, Communications Committee: John Freund
• Member, Holiday party committee: Anita Lambert
• Info Point: John Freund, Christy Shorey and Cathy Martyniak
• Chair, Grant Management Committee: (emphasis on 2006-2007 mini grants) Cathy Martyniak
• UF representative to Statewide E journal archiving TF: Cathy Martyniak