PMMC Meeting October 16, 2008
10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
1st Floor Conference Room
Raimonda Margjoni, presiding; minutes recorded & submitted by Emily Madden
Present : Raimonda Margjoni, Carol Whitmer, Michele Wilbanks, Jody Hewitt, Paul Losch, Emily Madden, Naomi Young, Paula Tarrant, Beth Zavoyski, Joe Baca, John Seay, Sonia Tergas, Angela Stewart, Ken Solomon, Terri Smith, Michael T. Chisholm.
- Minutes from last meeting were reviewed and passed for acceptance by group members.
- Next meeting will be January 15, 2009.
- Naomi Young informed the group of cataloging news:
- Records cataloged during 2007, and earlier, have inception/cessation dates recorded in 008 field positions 18 & 19 of bibliographic record forms; beginning 2008, records will leave the 008 field positions blank, but will have this information noted in the 310 field; also, if dates cannot be determined, 310 field will simply say “Unknown”. Any changes made to local records will need to be submitted to serials staff in the Cataloging & Metadata Dept., via the Cataloging Problems email address so that changes can be made in OCLC [ email@example.com ]
- Frequency changes should continue to be submitted to CatMet serials staff via the same email address so that current frequency info can be placed in 310 fields and previous frequency info
moved to 321 field; again, serials staff should do this so that OCLC can be updated.
- The Serials staff continues to work toward getting 853/863 information into OCLC; cancellations will no longer be noted in OCLC but, withdrawals will continue to be updated via monthly data uploads to it.
- Raimonda informed the group that currently, there is no staff in the AcqLic Dept. assigned process title changes; however, Jessica York has volunteered to process title changes as they are identified. Staff should continue to send title changed to Raimonda who will forward to Jessica. Non-CONSER titles should continue to be sent to Naomi Young with documentation of the changes to cover & masthead titles.
- Jody Hewitt followed-up Naomi’s discussion with questions about formatting in Item & Holdings records, and noted that she often has to correct formatting of recently received materials to the guidelines given staff when ALEPH was implemented in 2005. Emily Madden and several other group members acknowledged having to do this. Naomi & Raimonda agreed to explore options to have a review session held in early 2009.
- Jody also asked about how staff can identify who has made record changes. Paul Losch responded that all ALEPH modules have Item History tabs or menu items which can be accessed to determine this. For student userids, staff should examine the List of Location Codes in AlephPRO to identify the department or branch to contact in order to discuss changes made by them to records.
- Angela Stewart asked if changing the Description Field on Tab 2 of Item Records affects call number label formats. Naomi responded with, “In general, no, because serial call numbers are usually the number for the title as opposed to individual pieces, like monographs; however, in some cases, changes made will affect formatting of the label.” For a better understanding of this, she encouraged group members to attend the review seminar that will be held after the holidays.
- Raimonda informed the group of the results of the latest cancellation project. She will send list of cancelled titles to each branch so they can update HOL and complete binding.
- Raimonda announced 2 new Credit tracking codes for the ACQ/SER modules. will help Paying Unit to track credits on open orders.
- OWC - Open Waiting for Credit [i.e. issues not received]
Assuming that credit notifications will come to the Serials Acquisitions Unit first, the serials unit staff will change the status from SV to OWC and will forward the paperwork to Paying Unit. If the credit amount is known, we will note this in the Library Note field. Upon credit receipt, the Paying Unit will change the status from OWC back to SV.
- CWC – Closed Waiting for Credit [i.e., subscription cancelled]
When a credit is expected to arrive on a cancelled/ceased order, the Serials Unit will close the order and select the CLS order status. This will prevent any future activities in the order record, including new payment postings. To track pending credits, a CWC note will be placed in the “Order No. 3” field. A report run for this field will produce a list of all titles that we would be waiting credits for. Upon credit receipt, Paying Unit will delete the CWC note from the field.
- Raimonda & Naomi next announced & discussed enhancements to ALEPH 19, http://wiki.fcla.edu:8000/FCLA-LMS/61
- In ALEPH19, most enhancements occur in the ACQ/SER module
- Enhancements to the CIRC module may be held for implementation in ALEPH20
- Enhancements to the CAT module are not currently considered except for some functionality for batch uploads.
- Raimonda announced that the group is being asked to rename itself in response to the recent Libraries’ reorganization effort. Members were asked to submit suggestions to vote on before the next meeting on January 15, 2009. Submissions can be made to Raimonda, via email, and she will send an email to group members of the 3 best suggestions.
- Raimonda also asked group members to consider if meeting frequency is OK, too often, or not often enough. More discussion about this will occur at the January 15th meeting.
Bobby Parker was on sick leave for the day so there were no Binding-related announcements or discussions.