George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117007
Gainesville, FL 32611-7007
Telephone: (352) 273-2830
Fax: (352) 392-6597
Technical Services Division
GENERAL PRESERVATION DEPARTMENT STAFF GUIDELINES
- The department is open to the public from 8am to 5pm, Monday thru Friday.
- In order to allow staff a level of flexibility in their schedule, the department will be open to staff one hour before and one hour after public hours, thus from 7am to 6pm.
- A minimum 30 minute lunch break must be taken in the middle of the work day. The lunch break cannot be taken within the Department..
- For every 4 hour period worked, employees are entitled to a 15 minute break. Breaks can not be cumulated.
- All staff should set their work schedules in conjunction with their supervisors and must get their supervisors approval for all schedule changes.
- Annual leave should be approved in advance by the supervisor.
- A staff member's regular schedule should not exceed 10 hours worked in a single day.
- If all staff leave for an off site social function, arrangements must be made to have the front door locked. A note should be placed on the door, alerting patrons and other staff to our expected return time.
- When the secretary is not available to staff the front desk, arrangements should be made to answer phones and greet all foot traffic. Members of all Units should participate in this desk coverage equally.
- Computer games must not be played at any time.
- Personal calls should be made, to the extent possible, during breaks and lunches. Please try to limit personal calls to under 5 minutes.
- Personal long distance calls must not be made from work phones, unless a staff members calling card is being used.
- As the staff of the Preservation Department, we must be especially careful with food and drink in the areas assigned to us. Food should not be consumed in the Department except for Friday morning meeting donuts and infrequent special occasions such as holiday and birthday parties. Individually wrapped candies are acceptable if stored properly . Drinks must be in covered containers. Lunches or break food should be kept in the refrigerator or off your desk and work area.
- Whenever there is a party, a central trash receptacle will be provided for disposal of cups, plates, etc. which have come into contact with food or drink. One person will be assigned to monitor clean up and disposal of receptacle contents, outside, immediately following the party.
- Use of profanity is an unacceptable behavior.