HISTORIC NEWELL HALL TO BE RENOVATED
The University of Florida is receiving $10 million from the State of Florida for renovation of Newell Hall. The renovation will produce a facility to encourage student academic achievement. Original plans anticipated a 24-hour bookless study hall to be managed and staffed by the George A. Smathers Libraries. With the renovation of the Marston Science Library first floor with more than 700 seats, the function of the Newell Hall is being reassessed.
Over the next several months the University will gather information and input, resulting in recommendations for the function of the building, student services and facilities, IT specifications, building plans, a budget and a timeline. The construction process will likely take 18-24 months.
The project will transform this historic, but energy inefficient building and give it a new purpose and new life as an LEED1 gold building. The plan includes restoring the grand entrances on the north and south sides of the building
Newell Hall was built in 1910 as the Florida Experiment Station and is the third oldest building on the University of Florida campus. On June 27, 1979, it was added to the U. S. National Register of Historic Places. The building was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by William Edwards and built by J.J. Caine Company. Renovated in 1943 under the direction of Rudolph Weaver, it was named in 1944 for noted entomologist Dr. Wilmon E. Newell, the Provost of Agriculture at the University of Florida from 1921 until his death in October 1943.