- Access Support
- Cataloging & Metadata
- Digital Services
- Facilities & Security
- Information Technology
- Organizational Chart
- Meeting Schedule
- Strategic Initiatives
- Library Strategic Planning
Dr. Rachel A. Schipper
Technology & Support Services
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117000
Gainesville, FL 32611-7000
Telephone: (352) 273-2505
Fax: (352) 392-7251
Technology & Support Services: Goal Concepts
- Reorganization, Renovation, Construction, Relocation
- Policy, Procedure, Communication, Documentation
- Creation of a culture that encourages Assessment and Data Integration
Technology & Support Services: Goals for 2009 - 2010
- Standardize, organize, communicate, and make accessible Technology & Support Services policies shared by all UF Libraries.
- Build, acquire, make accessible, preserve, and archive resources that support University research and teaching.
- Support Open Access initiatives and make Open Access materials available.
- Promote communication, collaboration, and cooperation among departmental entities.
- Encourage further engagement in technology via workshop attendance, online coursework, face-to-face training, mentoring, and other development opportunities.
- Optimize environmental and infrastructure support of systems, buildings and collections.
Technical Services Strategic Initiatives for 2008/2009
- Encourage statewide collaboration and sharing of best practices in acquiring resources, enhancing information discovery and ensuring long-term preservation of collections.
- Support and participate in planning efforts for creating the regional joint storage facility. In particular, participate in developing strategies for ALF collection review, collection cataloging and reclassification, and preservation assessment.
- Support application of emerging technologies to improve workflow efficiency and increase collection use with innovative discovery tools.
- Collaborate with Digital Services to assist in the development of digital collections:
- Acquisitions & Licensing will investigate incorporating acquiring/ingesting operations of Institutional Repository information into its operations.
- Cataloging & Metadata will continue creating and enhancing metadata for digital files to improve discovery and access.
- Preservation will ensure the continuation of the digital file through monitoring best practices and coordinating preservation protection policies with Digital Services.
- Work with Information Technology staff to continue the development of the Technical Services statistics Web submission form and warehouse, from which ARL, ACRL and workload statistics can be stored, archived and accessed for reporting purposes.
- Develop a plan for gathering, analyzing and publishing electronic resources usage statistics and usability information.
- Develop the specifications for an Aleph SQL report request Web page from which library staff may ask for Aleph data/record reports that support daily operations and project implementations.
- Establish Wikis to be used for communicating across departments and documenting internal and Aleph procedures. Explore moving Aleph Pro documentation to Wiki format.
- Coordinate and document lost and missing items, and brittle books replacement copy policy, procedures and workflow with selectors, Acquisitions & Licensing, Cataloging & Metadata, Preservation, and Access Support.
- Create gift and endowment virtual bookplates and collaborate with Acquisitions & Licensing, Cataloging & Metadata and the Development Office to establish efficient workflow and document bookplate application procedures.