Anderson Hall


When Anderson Hall opened in 1906 it was known as Language Hall.  It originally housed classroom space and offices for humanities programs such as history, languages, classics, in addition to mathematics. 

The building was renamed in 1949 after Dr. James Nesbitt Anderson, originally of the faculty of the Florida Agricultural College, Lake City.  Dr. Nesbitt, a professor of Greek and Latin, served as first Dean of the Graduate School as well as first Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. 

Anderson  Hall was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by architect William A. Edwards

Anderson Hall was added to the National Register in 1979.  It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as an historic district in 1989. 

An addition to the east is currently under construction.  Renovation of the building, under the direction of Rowe Architects, is underway.  the direction of Rowe Architects.  The renovation was made possible by a gift in 1997 from  Kenneth and Janet Keene whose support along with matching state funds also enabled the renovation of Flint  Hall.  The name of Flint Hall was changed in honor of the Keenes. 

For more images of Anderson Hall, browse The Gallery
For more information, consult the Resources Guide
Historic Sites | UF Builds
Page Author:  Edward H. Teague
Page Created:  15 September 1999
Page Updated:  7 December 1999