Keene-Flint Hall
Science Hall was completed in 1910.  Originally, its first floor housed the departments of bacteriology, botany, chemistry, horticulture, physics, and zoology.  On the second floor was the University Museum which, in 1914, became the Florida State Museum.  The building was named for Dr. Edward R. Flint, chemistry professor and University Physician, in the 1950s.

Keene-Flint Hall was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by architect William A. Edwards.  It was constructed by the J. J. Cain Company of Atlanta.  Many of its original interior and exterior decorative elements were removed during the course of building alerations over the years.  Used for many years as a storage facility, Keene-Flint Hall commenced renovation in 1999 under the direction of Rowe Architects.  The renovation was made possible by a gift in 1997 from Kenneth and Janet Keene whose support along with matching state funds also enabled the renovation of Anderson Hall.  The name of Flint Hall was changed in honor of the Keenes.

Keene-Flint  Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.  It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as an historic district in 1989. 

For more images of Flint Hall, consult The Gallery
Consult the Resources Guide for more information about this building. 
Read about the restoration of Flint Hall in this issue of CLASnotes (Dec.15, 1997).
Historic Sites | UF Builds
Page Author:  Edward H. Teague
Page Created:  15 September 1999
Page Updated:  1 October 1999