Workshop: February 21, 2013
- It is extremely easy to talk to strangers when you know their background
- Talking to different people really allows me to know the areas they are interested in focusing now and in future. Their knowledge is very inspiring
- Meeting new people, and talking about their career goals. It was quite enlightening
- I learnt how to approach people I don’t know
- Meet strangers and make friends. Not so many chances in real life.
- Speaking with people I did not think had things in common with me. Surprisingly, I always had some sort of connection with the person I was talking to.
- I would like to try this “method” in group I work with.
- The PowerPoint in the beginning had a lot & useful tips to collaborating in a team.
- The poster was a great way to break the ice!
- The most useful part of the workshop was the speed “dating” rounds full of information because you are meeting new people.
- I enjoyed meeting a mixture of faculty and students. We do not get to talk to faculty and grad students often. So it was nice to make that connection
Workshop: January 31, 2013
- Issues are many/ Looking through different windows is important to find solution
- Directly connecting with students – getting them out of their comfort zone – thinking outside of the box
- Among all the people we meet you can find a partner to work with or a friend
- I think it helped me find other people who are in the “same boat” as I am
- It gave me the confidence to talk to others
- I found the process of this workshop most useful. This activity should prove useful in the future for networking.
Workshop: December 06, 2012
- The card with information is a great idea and helps conversation along
- Great initiative to break disciplinary walls
- The overall impression is excellent. It makes you feel the diversity and synergy of the world
- 3 - Minutes speed meeting & Idea boards help us tap into others resources
- I went to a grant unity workshop with Bess. You are all very capable of organizing. Kudos!
- I am an introvert person, having difficulty talking to strangers. This workshop helped me a lot in dealing with this.
Workshop: October 02, 2012
- The most useful part was meeting everyone in class which would have taken much longer without the workshop
- It was useful to be forced to talk to people I might not talk to otherwise. We often learn most from people who are outside of our “norms”.
Workshop: February 08, 2012
- This is an eye opening event which allows me to measure my ability and capture the real world outside my own small side.
- The profiles helped start conversations and break the ice.
- The sharing of ideas from different backgrounds is really useful
- Help you overcome the fear of talking to strangers (because you have to move!)
- I met new people and feel better about talking
Workshop: February 03, 2012
- Makes me more confident with strangers. Get more information and resource from people in other disciplines.
- It’s a good way to introduce ourselves to other people and know about their area.
- Shocking to meet people in completely different areas and still find something in common.
- I was really shy about this exercise. But providing information about ourselves made it much easier to meet and talk to others. I feel better about meeting my classmates.
Workshop: November 17, 2011
- Liked the idea of meeting people, exchanging ideas, to see what connections could be made
- Love the process! A new experience for me- I can see a variety of applications
- It helped me meet people much different than me in discipline, background, helped me to better put into words what I do. Presented an unusual opportunity to quickly meet many new people.
- The randomness of people forced to think of ways to collaborate that I had never considered.
- It has given me with confidence to make it big with my new idea. I got some valuable feedback!
- Increased my confidence to start talk with strangers or people who I barely know.
- Helps to build relationship in the short time, to find out what you are interested in from the strangers
- I got to know people’s perception of me, providing a feedback evaluation of my strengths and weakness. I got an insight into working with different type of people.
Workshop: October 26, 2011
- I like the idea and motive behind the workshop
- The bios are short. It introduces you to their field quickly. You are able to ask more specific questions starting out.
- The workshop helped to develop a concise introduction of self and also to develop questions to ask others on the fly.
- Relaxing activity with potential benefits
- Breaking the ICE of meeting new people phobia